1. Action Items:
      1. Additions to Agenda Powers
      2. Approve Agenda Powers
      3. Approve Minutes of 3/16/16 (HANDOUT A) Powers

1st  PHP

2nd BH

Action—approved 8-0

  1. Reports:
      1. Financial Report (FY to date) King
        1. May Financial Report (HANDOUT B)

1st PHP

2nd TE

Action—approved 8-0


        1. Additional budget notes and update through 5/1/16
        2. Other:
          • Insurance (term life) proposal for Membership (HANDOUT B1)  Bruce,

Look at term life and liability insurance.  35 cents per member per month—roughly $4.20 per member per year in total cost additional 2500 term life insurance to a total of $5000, start on July 1

Bruce asking for approval of this change

1st TE  

2nd JR  

Action—approved 8-0


          • Dan Adams contribution  Actual design of what John Glenn will do with contributions still not determined

Action—Already taken, $500 donation


          • Bruce Whitehead donation (HANDOUT B2)  $500 total contribution

1st PHP  

2nd BH  

Action this change is unanimous


      1. Membership Report    King/Brown
        1. Clarify CURRENT Ohio/NIAAA memberships

Randy’s report  15-16 membership form still being used, still receiving confused” submissions.

Bruce comments—16-17 overlap 6 months break point, if purchased after January 1 will go until June 30 of 2017.  Prior, theirs will expire June 30, 2016.

For brochure, slight change at “note to qualify in middle section” must be considered an administrator to receive the OASSA portion of the tri membership.

What about lifetime members?  Would have to make up the difference if lifetime with NIAAA only, so to add lifetime member of OIAAA additionally, would be $150


Should we remove the waived fee for regular/active lifetime membership for the state conference.  Also, add memberships are non transferable.


        1. Update on 2016-2017 Membership Drive
          • Membership Brochure (HANDOUT C)


          • Partnership with OASSA


          • Membership “overlap” concerns with NIAAA
            1. January 1, 2016 and later = good through June, 2017
            2. May, 2017:  Everyone on same cycle
          • Tie-in with Summer Institute (501 and 502)

Bruce, how can we move more people into LTI training.  Push toward new ADs.   So for new MEMBERS for 2016/2017, they will receive 501 & 502 at no charge


        1. Online registration discussion  Changing online provider from Ticket Roar to Ticket Tracker due to increase in cost.  

Include a membership form with brochure for fall distribution and OHSAA meetings

Move toward membership cards now being available only online

      1. OHSAA Report Snodgrass/Brown
        1. Summer Summit collaboration (HANDOUTS D, E & F)  15 registered for 501/502 already.  Pre-registration is moving forward, be sure to share with your respective districts.
        2. Division 1 Football: 4 Regions  
        3. Competitive Balance:  Will eventually need to do a transfer of students into arbiter as this will be how Comp. Balance will be determined.  Arbiter is providing a spreadsheet to make this transfer.
          • Beta testing
          • Discussions with Arbiter
          • Competitive Balance Committee review (May 3)
        4. Other updates—Summer leadership
      2. OASSA Report Baker—absent


      1. NIAAA Report Brown—


Section 2 situation, need two volunteers to assist in the process of selecting replacement.

          1. Potential NIAAA Board Vacancy, Section 2


  • Process (HANDOUT G)


        1. Candidate Review Committee (3 members)
      1. Awards Schumacher


        1. OIAAA Scholarship process—six scholarships, currently have 7 nominations.  Keep all and just use total amount and split up between these submissions.   District reps will need to determine if district board covers cost of scholarship attendees (Bruce will do).   Discussion on topic.  Motion requested on

Move to $400 per submitted scholar

passed—5 to 2

        1. Awarding of OIAAA Scholarships @ DABs (Brown)  
        2. NIAAA Awards:  Ohio nominations in red for this year
          • NFHS Citation, Kovaleski  Jon Payne
          • DSA  Tom Nerl
        3. OIAAA HOF issue  All but one of the submitted districts submitted
      1. Conference Report Brown

Three sessions and six offerings

Early bird activity requests

Asking for suggestions for 2nd Cracker Barrel session—topic would be those with limited personnel resources

3rd Cracker Barrel session –need facilitators and topics for this session

Andy J is working on keynote speaker

Mitch Osbourne speaking and support for the encouragement of multi sport athletes

Program for transition from MS to HS.

Add 2nd cycle of breakouts, focusing on Arbiter

How to engage stake holders on initiatives

Emergency action plan execution Tonya Gruel-Wright & Dean Taylor will present

Student Athlete Leadership Counsel—looking for a presenter.



  • 2016 planning update (HANDOUT H)


        1. Conference “Flow Chart”
        2. “Jerry Lucas” memorabilia fundraiser (info only)
        3. Vendor update and Brochure Poggi About 48 on a waiting list, last year’s vendors get a week lead
      1. Certification Update Payne  exams are in place for this year’s opportunities (CAA)  Registration is still through national.  Exams will be moving toward online, no paper tests after national this year.
      2. Leadership Training Gillespie  for outreach programs, instructors have not been paid.  Glen has asked for input on this practice.  

Motion to consistently compensate instructors

Tim 1st  Phil 2nd passed 7-0

      1. Newsletter e-zine Gillespie  
        1. May timeline: Articles due MAY 1; release May 6  
      2. Website Frombach  asks for submissions on major job openings.   Discussion on district websites with state.
      3. Business Partnership Report Brown–conversation with corporate vendors.
        1. On-site visits (Ohio Team Shop)


        1. New reviews:
          • “New World Newsletter” (Mark Goldberg) (HANDOUT I) proposing three options.  If OIAAA shares this, schools get membership for school @ $250.  2nd– for $5000 offered to all school districts across the state

3rd—OIAAA gets a sponsor to cover this costs.

Bruce will investigate further.  Either get  a sponsor or propose to schools the $250 per school.


        1. Current Partnership Schedules


    1. Discussion Items:
        1. Section 2 Brown/Erickson Send registration by May 20.   Attending will be Section 2 Board Rep (TBA), Bruce Brown, Tim Erickson , Randy King, Paul Powers
          1. Update on MD Section 2 attendees:  BB, TE, RK, PPow, BH, RG + Board rep
          2. Organization of Advance Committee for Ohio Hosting (2017)


  • Update from Joe Roberts  Sandusky area will be used.  Cedar Point will be considered as hosting site, waiting on reply.  Both Kalahari and Cedar Point are available for conference dates


            • Planning Committee (Need to have details for Maryland mtg. in June)
        1. Strategic Planning Updates Brown


  • Sub-group reports/updates: (HANDOUT J)  Brown—due to time constaints of today’s meeting.  Each group needs to come back with time frame and sub sets and report those back within the next two weeks.


          • Strategy 1: Erickson & Roberts
          • Strategy 2: Payne & Gillespie
          • Strategy 3: Brown & Powers
          • Strategy 4: King & Poggi
          • Strategy 5: Brown, Powers & Erickson



  • Timeline for reporting and approval of target items:


          • Set a date (????)
          • Prep information packet:  Members and website


      1. District reports:   
        1. Central: Alyssa Downing absent.  Bo reports just had meeting.  Bo reports


        1. Northwest: Joe Roberts  just had spring round tables, about 70 ADs in attendance.  Will change format for next year.


        1. Northeast: Andy Jalwan  absent.  Conference in April, highest attendance ever about 130.  Included Arbiter and had discussion a part of this.  Oliver Luck spoke


        1. East: Ray Hibbs  Conference took place, included Arbiter training for membership.  Thursday night had awards and presented membership proposal.



  • Southeast: Rick Guimond—April Meeting held-Three Vendors present


Peter Fitzpatrick Ohio Team Shop

Rob Rice of School Pride

Pete Miller of MillCoDesigns, maker of the “The Matt”

Discussed our hosting of the State Meeting have about 15 to 20 volunteers at present.  Spring outing will May 13@Elks’ Country Club, Portsmouth 9AM

        1. Southwest: Phil Poggi   Meeting will be May 10 and a golf outing is  May 23.


      1. Upcoming dates of note:
        1. Spring District meetings:
          • SWOADA—May 10—Sycamore HS
          • SEOIAAA—May 13–Jackson
          • SWOADA— May 23—Spring Golf Outing- Heatherwoode CC


  1. Adjournment: Powers


          1. “Summer Institute”: June 14-16, 2016, OHSAA Offices, Columbus
          2. Section 2 Meetings: June 22-24, Solomons, Maryland


  • “2016-2017 New A.D. Webinars” – determine planning committee  Brown, 15 to 20 people on average in attendance.  last one May 10


        1. Officers, Executive Director, Treasurer:  Summer Strategy Session:  Wednesday, July 27, 2016:  SITE: (TBA) 10 AM
        2. NEXT ALL BOARD MEETING: SUNDAY, AUGUST 14, 2016, OHSAA Offices, 9:30 a.m.

October 16

November 12 (part of conference)

January 22

March 12

April 30



Recommended Posts