Purpose of Scholarship
In accordance with National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association’s (NIAAA) purpose to promote, facilitate and increase the knowledge and understanding of the vital role of interscholastic athletics in the educational system, this scholarship program will foster and recognize the partnership between the NIAAA and secondary education. The scholarships will recognize the distinguished scholastic, leadership and sportsmanship attributes of high school student-athletes, and the importance of high school athletics in each student’s life. Download the NIAAA Student Athlete Scholarship Application (Fillable PDF). States are encouraged to recognize each studnet who applies by presenting them with a certificate of recognition. Download Certificate of Recognition.
“How High School Athletics has Impacted my Life”
Read 2013 Evan Camrud National Winner Essay – ND
Read 2013 Velia Alejandra Moran Olivas National Winner Essay – NM
- Applicant must have achieved at least two (2) of the following: (a) minimum of B+ average; (b) ranked in the top 25% of class; (c) ACT score of 24 or an SAT score of 1100 (Verbal and Math only)
- Applicant must have participated in two sports for at least two years in each sport
- Applicant must have earned at least one varsity letter in each of two sports
- Applicant must complete attached scholar application
- Applicant must have a letter of recommendation from the high school athletic administrator/director
- School athletic administrator/director must be an NIAAA member and a member of their respective state athletic administrators association
- The principal or athletic administrator/director must sign the application to ensure that the academic information submitted is accurate
- All materials must be postmarked to the NIAAA Liaison in your respective state (select your state below to see due date and liaison contact information) no later than your states due date
One male and one female will each receive a plaque recognizing them as state winners.
One male and one female in each of the eight NIAAA sections will each receive a $1,000 scholarship and a certificate recognizing them as section winners.
One male and one female will be selected form the eight section winners to each receive a $2,000 scholarship and a crystal recognizing them as national winners in addition to attending the National Conference for Athletic Administrators in December to present their essay. Download the list of the latest Section Scholarship Winners.
- Applications postmarked to NIAAA liaison in respective state (see listing of liaisons below)
- March : States select male and female winner
- April-June: Sections selects male and female winner
- July: NIAAA Board selects male and female national winner
- August : National winners notified by NIAAA office
- December: National winners and their parents attend national conference to be recognized and present their essay
- Ohio (February 28)
3420 Everett Road
Richfield, OH 44286