Minutes – Executive Committee Meeting
May 19, 2013
State Conference Planning Committee:
- The Planning Committee led by Tim Erickson (President Elect) and members of the Northeast District State Conference Committee (Kent Smith and Greg Cooper) met from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. to discuss the details of the 2013 OIAAA Athletic Directors Conference.
- The Conference will be held on November 17-19, 2013 at the Easton Hilton.
Called to Order:
- The meeting was called to order by Matt Shomper (President) at 10:00 a.m.
Executive Director: __x__ Bruce Brown (Northeast) District Rep. Central(VM): ___x__ Steve Conley
Past President / Program Chair(VM): __x__ Tom Farbizo (East) District Rep. East(VM): ___x__ Don Spinell
President(VM): __x__ Matt Shomper (Southwest) District Rep. Northeast(VM): _____ Paul Moses
President Elect(VM): __x__ Tim Erickson (Northwest) District Rep. Northwest(VM): __x___ Chris Fahim
__x____ Susie Felver
Secretary (VM): __x__ Paul Powers (Northeast) District Rep. Southwest(VM): __x___ Tim Cook
Treasurer: __x___ Randy King (Central) District Rep. Southeast(VM): ___x__ Bo Arnett
LTI / Newsletter Chair: __x___ Glen Gillespie (Northwest)
Awards Chair: __x__ Bill Schumacher (Northeast)
Exhibit Chair: __x__ Phil Poggi (Southwest)
Website Chair: ___x_ Erich Frombach (Northeast)
OHSAA: ____ Dr. Ross OHSAA: __x__ Jerry Snodgrass OASSA: ____ Jim Harbuck
Page 2 Minutes, Executive Committee Mtg.
1. Action Items
A. Additions to the Agenda:
B. Approval of Agenda:
- A motion was made by Tim Cook (Southwest ) and seconded by Bo Arnett (Southeast) to approve the agenda. The motion passed 9-0.
C. Approval of Minutes:
- A motion was made by Bo Arnett (Southeast) and seconded by Steve Conley (Central) to approve the minutes from the 3/17/13 Executive Committee meeting. The motion passed 9-0.
D. Approval of Financial Report:
- A motion was made by Steve Conley (Central) and seconded by Chris Fahim (Northwest) to approve the financial report as of 4/30/13. The balance as of 4/30/13 was $39,025.02 (See attached for detail report). The motion passed 8-0.
- The 2013 – 2014 OIAAA Budget will be discussed at the Executive Committee Summer Work Session on July 26, 2013.
- Liability Insurance for all members costs $5,100.00 for 434 members
E. Constitution Update:
- The Constitution Committee of Matt Shomper, Bruce Brown and Paul Moses made suggestions regarding the OIAAA Constitution.
- OIAAA Membership will vote on changes at the State OIAAA Conference in November.
2. Information Items
A. Membership Report:
- Matt Shomper (President) reported the following information regarding membership:
- As of May 19, 2013 we have processed 51 new memberships for the 2013 – 2014 school year.
- Randy King is looking into buying membership cards
B. OASSA Report:
- No report
C. OHSAA Report:
- Jerry Snodgrass from the OHSAA reported on the following items:
- On-line ejection report, Foundation game and Pre-season manual on-line
Page 3 Minutes, Executive Committee Mtg.
2. Information Items Continued
D. NIAAA Report:
- No report
E. Conference Report:
- Bruce Brown (Executive Director) discussed the following items regarding the 2013 State Conference:
- Program printing and program ads
- Registration and refund options
- Paul Powers (Secretary) made a motion to approve Erich Frombach as the Website Chair. Steve Conley seconded the motion. Motion passed 9-0.
- Erich Frombach (Website Chair) presented a preview of the new OIAAA Website
G. Awards Report:
- Bill Schumacher led a discussion on National and State Awards. It was decided that all the award proposals would be tabled until the Summer Planning Session with the officers of OIAAA.
H. Leadership Training Report:
- Glen Gillespie (LTI / Newsletter Chair) led a discussion about the following items:
- 2013 State Conference Classes
- Sunday: 501, 502 and 714
- Monday: 506 and 790
- Looking for teachers to teach LTI classes
- Southwest would like to host the summer Leadership Training Program in 2014
- 2013 State Conference Classes
Page 4 Minutes, Executive Committee Mtg.
I. Newsletter E-Zine Report:
- Glen Gillespie (Newsletter Chair) reported the following information regarding the OIAAA Newsletter:
- Please send feedback on past issues.
J. Executive Directors Report:
- Bruce Brown (Executive Director) led a discussion regarding the following items:
- Gave an update on Business, Conference and MOU’s partnerships.
- Tim Erickson (Southwest) made a motion that we pay all associated costs for Bruce Brown to attend the NIAAA Executive Director Meeting in June. Paul Powers (Secretary) seconded the motion. Motion passed 7-0.
- Discussed the renewal of Liability Insurance for all members of OIAAA.
- A discussion was held regarding the reimbursements and stipends from the OIAAA. It will be taken to the OIAAA Summer meeting for further discussion.
- Compensation of the Executive Director position. Will look into how other states pay the position.
3. Discussion Items
A. NIAAA Section 2:
- Summer Conference in West Virginia in June
B. Correspondence from WBL:
- Received a correspondence from the WBL regarding surveying the OHSAA membership regarding all aspects of the OHSAA office. It was decided the feedback from the OIAAA has no effect on what the OHSAA does. Thus, the OIAAA will not look into sending this survey out.
Page 5 Minutes, Executive Committee Mtg.
C. District Reports:
1. Central (Steve Conley)
- No Report
2. Northwest (Chris Fahim)
- Roundtable meeting, Wednesday, April 24, 2013
- Fall Conference, Wednesday, September 18, 2013
3. Northeast (Paul Moses)
- No Report
4. East (Don Spinell)
5. Southeast (Bo Arnett)
- Fall Meeting in September
6. Southwest (Tim Cook)
- Monday, May 20, 2013, Spring Workshop and Golf Outing
Page 6 Minutes, Executive Committee Mtg.
A. Next Meeting:
- Sunday, August 18, 2013
- The meeting will be held at the OHSAA Offices
- The Conference Planning Committee will meet at 9:00 a.m.
- The Executive Committee will meet at 10:00 a.m.
B. Move to Adjourn:
- A motion was made by Tim Cook (Southwest) and seconded by Tom Farbizo (Past President) to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed 7-0.
- The meeting adjourned at 1:25 p.m.
C. Upcoming Dates of Note:
Future Meeting Dates:
- Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:00 a.m. Hilton Easton
- Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:00 a.m. Hilton Easton
- Sunday, January 25, 2015 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
- Sunday, May 17, 2015 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
Page 7 Minutes, Executive Committee Mtg.
NIAAA Section 2 Meeting Dates:
- June 20 – 22, 2013 Host State: West Virginia
- June 19 – 22, 2014 Host State: Delaware
- June 18 – 21, 2015 Host State: Kentucky
- June 16 – 18, 2016 Host State: Maryland
- June 15 – 17, 2017 Host State: Ohio
- June 14 – 16, 2018 Host State: Pennsylvania
- June 13 – 15, 2019 Host State: Virginia
Future OIAAA Conference Dates:
- November 17-19, 2013 Host Northeast Site: Hilton Easton
- November 16-18, 2014 Host Northwest Site Hilton Easton
- November 15-17, 2015 Host East Site
- November 13-15, 2016 Host Southeast Site
- November 12-14, 2017 Host Central Site
Future NIAAA Conference Dates:
- December 13-17, 2013 Place Anaheim, California
- December 12-16, 2014 Place National Harbor, Maryland
- December 11-15, 2015 Place Orlando, Florida
- December 9-15, 2016 Place Nashville, Tennessee