O.I.A.A.A. Executive Committee October 2013 Meeting Minutes
Minutes – Executive Committee Meeting
October 20, 2013
State Conference Planning Committee:
· The Planning Committee led by Tim Erickson (President Elect) and members of the Northeast District State Conference Committee (Kent Smith and Greg Cooper) met from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. to discuss the details of the 2013 OIAAA Athletic Directors Conference.
· The Conference will be held on November 17-19, 2013 at the Easton Hilton.
Called to Order:
· The meeting was called to order by Matt Shomper (President) at 10:25 a.m.
Attendance: X = at meeting
Executive Director: __x__ Bruce Brown (Northeast) District Rep. Central(VM): ___x__ Steve Conley
Past President / Program Chair(VM):__x__ Tom Farbizo (East) District Rep. East(VM): ______ Don Spinell
President(VM): __x__ Matt Shomper (Southwest) District Rep. Northeast(VM): ___x__ Rob Eckenrode
President Elect(VM): __x__ Tim Erickson (Northwest) District Rep. Northwest(VM): ______ Susie Felver
Secretary (VM): __x__ Paul Powers (Northeast) District Rep. Southwest(VM): ___x___ Tim Cook
Treasurer: __x___ Randy King (Central) District Rep. Southeast(VM): ___x__ Bo Arnett
LTI / Newsletter Chair: __x___ Glen Gillespie (Northwest)
Awards Chair: __x__ Bill Schumacher (Northeast)
Exhibit Chair: __x__ Phil Poggi (Southwest)
Website Chair: _____ Erich Frombach (Northeast)
OHSAA: ____ Dr. Ross OHSAA: ____ Jerry Snodgrass OASSA: ____X__ Ken Baker
1. Action Items
A. Additions to the Agenda:
B. Approval of Agenda:
· A motion was made by Tom Farbizo (Past President) and seconded by Tim Cook (Southwest) to approve the agenda. The motion passed 8-0.
C. Approval of Minutes:
· A motion was made by Tom Farbizo (Past President) and seconded by Bo Arnett (Southeast) to approve the minutes from the 8/18/13 Executive Committee meeting. The motion passed 8-0.
D. Approval of Financial Report:
· A motion was made by Tom Farbizo (Past President) and seconded by Steve Conley (Central) to approve the financial report as of 10/21/13. The balance as of 10/21/13 was Checking $9,338.16 and Savings $70,434.96. The motion passed 8-0.
o Note: The OIAAA Audit Committee will meet on November 16, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
2. Information Items
A. Membership Report:
· Randy King (Treasurer) gave an update on membership numbers. As of 10/20/13 we have 307 members.
· Randy King (Treasurer) showed us the new OIAAA membership cards for the 2013 – 2014 membership year.
B. OASSA Report:
· Ken Baker updated us on the current issues regarding education in Ohio.
C. OHSAA Report:
· Bruce Brown (OIAAA Rep. to OHSAA) and Tim Cook (OHSAA Board member) gave us an update on agenda items from the OHSAA October meeting.
D. NIAAA Report:
· Matt Shomper (President) asked for delegates for the National Conference. The delegates will be Bruce Brown, Tim Erickson, Paul Powers, Matt Shomper and TBD.
· A discussion was held regarding financial support for an OIAAA member when on the NIAAA board.
· A discussion was held about the OHSAA plans for a a breakfast at the NIAAA National Conference in Anaheim for Ohio attendees.
E. Conference Report:
· Tim Erickson gave us an update from the State Conference planning committee.
· No Report.
G. Awards Report:
· Bill Schumacher (Awards Chair) led a discussion on National and State Awards.
· Bill Schumacher (Awards Chair) reviewed the agenda for the 2013 State Conference Awards Luncheon.
· Bill Schumacher (Awards Chair) asked about awards for past board members and committee chairs.
H. Leadership Training Report:
· Glen Gillespie (LTI / Newsletter Chair) led a discussion about the following items:
o 25 people currently signed up for LTI classes at the State Conferences
§ Shared the name of the class instructor for each class
o New LTI 790 Class
I. Newsletter E-Zine Report:
· Glen Gillespie (Newsletter Chair) reported the following information regarding the OIAAA Newsletter:
o Conference Newsletter will be coming out Friday, October 25, 2013.
J. Executive Directors Report:
· Bruce Brown (Executive Director) led a discussion regarding the following items:
o Business Partnerships
o New Corporate sponsorships
o OASAA Conference Exhibit
3. New Business Items
A. Hilton Contract:
· Discussed the 2014 Hilton Contract for the State Conference. OIAAA will look into trying to get more rooms under the group block rate.
B. OIAAA Gear:
· Paul Powers (Secretary) made a motion and seconded by Matt Shomper (President) that each OIAAA Executive Board member and OIAAA Chairs receive two (2) apparel items each year for the State OIAAA conference. Motion passed 6-0.
C. OIAAA Pens and Pencils:
· Tim Erickson (President Elect) made a motion and seconded by Bo Arnett (Southeast) that the OIAAA share the expense with the NEOIAAA for the purchase of pens and pencils to be used for promotional items. Motion passed 6-0.
D. State Pins:
· Paul Powers (Secretary) will look into the cost of purchasing OIAAA State pins. He will bring a report to the November OIAAA Conference.
D. Technology for OIAAA Treasurer:
· Randy King (Treasurer) will bring a recommendation back to the OIAAA Executive Board as to the technology upgrades that are necessary for him to complete OIAAA business.
4. Discussion Items
A. No Items
B. District Reports:
1. Central (Steve Conley)
o No report
2. Northwest (Susie Felver)
o Had a good Fall Conference
3. Northeast (Rob Eckenrode)
o Please send Door Prize money to NEOIAAA
4. East (Don Spinell)
o No report
5. Southeast (Bo Arnett)
o No Report
6. Southwest (Tim Cook)
o Fall Conference: November 3, 2013
A. Next Meeting:
· Sunday, January 26, 2014
o The meeting will be held at the OHSAA Offices
o The Conference Planning Committee will meet at 9:00 a.m.
o The Executive Committee will meet at 10:00 a.m.
B. Move to Adjourn:
· A motion was made by Tim Erickson (President Elect) and seconded by Bo Arnett (Southeast) to adjourn the meeting. Motion passed 6-0.
o The meeting adjourned at 1:50 p.m.
C. Upcoming Dates of Note:
Future Meeting Dates:
· Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:00 a.m. Hilton Easton
· Sunday, January 25, 2015 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, March 15, 2015 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
· Sunday, May 17, 2015 10:00 a.m. OHSAA Offices Conference Planning at 9:00 a.m.
NIAAA Section 2 Meeting Dates:
· June 19 – 22, 2014 Host State: Delaware
· June 18 – 21, 2015 Host State: Kentucky
· June 16 – 18, 2016 Host State: Maryland
· June 15 – 17, 2017 Host State: Ohio
· June 14 – 16, 2018 Host State: Pennsylvania
· June 13 – 15, 2019 Host State: Virginia
· June, TBD, 2020 Host State: West Virgina
Future OIAAA Conference Dates:
· November 16-18, 2014 Host Northwest Site Hilton Easton
· November 15-17, 2015 Host East Site
· November 13-15, 2016 Host Southeast Site
· November 12-14, 2017 Host Central Site
Future NIAAA Conference Dates:
· December 12-16, 2014 Place National Harbor, Maryland
· December 11-15, 2015 Place Orlando, Florida
· December 9-15, 2016 Place Nashville, Tennessee